Probably getting the D500, + 70-200 2.8, but need a walk around

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JulieA
JulieA Regular Member • Posts: 127
Probably getting the D500, + 70-200 2.8, but need a walk around

I have had a few posts lately and I think I've settled on the D500 (not 100% sure yet).  I have about a $5000 budget.  I'm hoping to buy something during Black Friday.

So, my main subjects are just family, travel, kids school activities.  My daughter is a young gymnast so I just want to be able to capture of few shots of her in gymnastics meets.  But that's really only a 6 times a year or so.  But that's why I'm going with the 70-200 2.8 (hopefully the new one but going to borrow a lovely member's vrii and see if that one will suffice.)  My question is, if I go with the vrii, I might have room to buy one more walk around lens.   I would need something for capturing daily life at my kids school.  A friend is begging me to be her buddy at school events, just candid stuff to put in the yearbook.  What would be the idea lens for that.  Something easy to walk around with but has a decent range?

And if anyone wants to chime in on camera body, I'm still not 100% sold on the d500.  Possible even the d7200 might be enough for me, or.. the D750.  I'd love the D850 but I think for my needs for now, it just doesn't make sense and I also don't want to wait any longer and my daughters first gymnastics meet is in January.

Anyone have and suggestions?

Thanks,

Julie

JulieA's gear list:JulieA's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G Canon PowerShot G16 Nikon D80 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +1 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D7200 Nikon D750 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow