M43, hyperfocal distance and depth of field

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Senior Member • Posts: 5,577
M43, hyperfocal distance and depth of field

Whilst I was out in the mountains on Sunday for an Autumn walk a particular situation got me wondering about something that the designers of our super technological cameras have never thought of perhaps.

The photo below illustrates the problem that came to mind. This is a typical landscape where it is nice to have sharpness from about a metre to infinity. As it happens closing down the lens at 12mm gave me the DoF I wanted. But it is not always this easy.

With my old Pentax and Nikon cameras I had depth of field scales on my manual focus lenses that enabled me to crudely manipulate the focus point to get what I wanted in focus. They worked well enough.

With my 2.8 Panasonic and Olympus 2.8 zooms I do not have an easy way to determine a fixed distance to focus on, let alone depth of fields scales. Manipulating DoF has become a bit of a crude guessing game with my modern lenses. Focus on something one third into the scene and close down to F8 is one work around.

This is a problem common to nearly all modern camera systems of all shapes and sizes.

I know I can download DoF apps on the phone, but they are of little use unless I bring my Leica Disto along.

Now if our cameras gave us automatic hyperfocal focus. I can’t think the algorithm is a hard one to implement.

Or have I missed something?

-- hide signature --
 NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow