All-Around Prime for X-T20

Started 3 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
eyestothewind New Member • Posts: 8
All-Around Prime for X-T20

Hi everyone!

I'm a beginner/intermediate enthusiast who's recently entered the Fuji world. I picked up the X-T20 w/ the 18-55 and am thrilled with it so far. It covers a good amount of the photography I like to do, particularly for travel.

There are a couple gaps though: for one, I shoot surf photography and very occasionally some wild life on vacation, so I've purchased the 50-230 XC for those situations (I don't need telephoto in anything but bright light and wouldn't be using it enough to justify the 55-200).

The second gap, and one I'm seeking advice on, is what would make a good prime lens for street photography and everyday portability. I'm particularly interested in something that's very small for a compact setup that could even be put in a jacket pocket if possible, which the 18-55 can't quite do. It seems that the XF27mm is the only true "pancake" in the lineup so that one popped out at me first. The XF 23/1.4 and and XF 35/1.4 I've also heard great things about, but are these too large to really make them any more portable than the 18-55? Which of these presents the best value and bang for the buck? I'm open to any other suggestions as well.

To provide more context on the type of photography for this, I'm thinking quick snapshots of scenes on the street, wide angle architecture shots, candid shots of friends, and the occasional landscape. I don't really do traditional portraiture. I'd say 75/25 day vs. night shooting.

Sorry if this is a bit vague - still a beginner!

Appreciate any tips or just general advice on building a lens collection in the X system.

eyestothewind's gear list:eyestothewind's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II
Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow