Pixel shifts, for resolution, for color purity, which for A7R III ?

Started Nov 14, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KrampusClaus Regular Member • Posts: 252
Pixel shifts, for resolution, for color purity, which for A7R III ?

There appears 2 paths so far concerning this approach to improving results.

One approach uses half-pixel shifts to increase effective resolutions, the 2nd uses full pixel shifts to improve the color purity.

But both will improve the apparent clarity and visible resolution, and even noise/artifacts/DR? as well, I suspect.

So Sony are using pixel shift to improve the already impressive A7R III sensor ability, but which approach are they using ?

"Unlike Olympus' approach, which grabs 8 frames and uses a half-pixel shift between two groups of four to interpolate additional pixels (resolution increase), Ricoh's method uses just four shots, to bring the four pixels of each Bayer color filter array cell into alignment with each other. The resulting file has the same number of pixels as conventional shots, but each pixel contains full, uninterpolated RGB data (color improvement). (Reminiscent in that sense of Sigma's Foveon sensors.) "

the quote from:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/03/23/in-progress-ricoh-reveals-pixel-shifting-high-resolution-mode-coming-soon-t

** italics above are my comments.

Personal opinion, i suspect either approach would greatly increase the performance of smaller sensors such as cell phones and P&S, possibly even more ?

Also, the half pixel shift needs a higher resolution lens, the color pixel shifting does not, I think.

So tech experts, what is the verdict and pros & cons, a nice step forward for sensor tech ?

KrampusClaus's gear list:KrampusClaus's gear list
Canon EF 400mm F2.8L III Canon EF 600mm F4L IS III
Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow