Pentax DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED IF SDM - a reliable lens?

Started Nov 13, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jackie semple Contributing Member • Posts: 675
Pentax DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED IF SDM - a reliable lens?

Hi - I’m looking for responses from users of this lens and in particular those who have not experienced problems with the SDM motor - I've seen more than a few from those who have had problems. Nevertheless, I’ve considered buying it a number of times but have been put off by such reports.

I had a conversation with my Pentax dealer in London (Watford) last week about these "horror stories of SDM failure" on the 50-135 F2.8 lens. He advised that I should not accept these reports as a complete verdict on that lens in that they don't reveal the stories of it working successfully as there is no need for those folk to complain. I replied that I rarely see a mention of failure in other lenses irrespective of the brand. I enquired about the incidence of failures reported to this Pentax dealer and he said pretty rare, and no different from other lenses with SDM motors.

So there you have it. This Pentax dealer is saying in their experience this lens is no different in terms of reliability when compared to others. I've been dealing with this Pentax dealer since April 2000.

Nevertheless, it is still my sense that buying this lens carries a risk of SDM motor failure. though there is a two year warranty in mitigation of that risk.

I've not yet bought this lens but it is on my list. My take is likely to be - buy it, use it often, at least weekly over the initial 3 - 6 months when faults in manufacturing tend to appear. It would be opportune in this forum to hear from owners who have never had SDM failure with this lens but there may not be too many because the lens costs around $1,000.

It is my idea to buy both the KP and this lens, a combo, and I'm thinking hard! Any comments from other forum members about this lens, with KP or without, would be welcome.

Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
6x9
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow