Quantifying my G9 GAS. "What have I left out?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 14,335
Quantifying my G9 GAS. "What have I left out?

I will shortly be buying another body to supplement my G80 and GX7. The GX7 will probably never be used again but probably won't be sellable because the silver base plate is noticeably scratched.

My new body was to be another G80 because I love it to bits. The G9 coming along meant I had to assess it as an alternative.

I have just about made up my mind to get another G80 but I'd be interested to hear if I've left anything out from my decision making.

G9
Top LCD , of no interest to me, I don't understand why anybody with an LCD and EVF needs one.
High Res, no interest to me. 90% of what I take moves
Dual SD, nice to have but I've lived quite well without it.
Joystick, not interested just something else to clutter up the controls.
20MP sensor, I'd like it. My cropping ability went up considerably moving from a G7 to a G80 and if this allowed me to go a bit further it would be great.
Extra IS, probably nice to have but I'm extremely happy with Dual IS2 on the G80.
Better focusing would be good but what does it mean in reality. Once again G7 to G80 was a big step.
EVF, sounds great, I'd like it if it as big an improvement as people have suggested.
6K photo, very interesting but that associated AF has to be better than on the G80 4K mode.
Pre burst on RAW sounds very interesting but I only heard about this today

Unknowns, apart from AF the other thing that interests me is noise. I'm not 100% happy with the noise levels on the G80. It does pretty well in the dark up to ISO1600 but in daylight I'm still getting issues at ISO400. I would really like to know how the G9 compares.
Of course there is also the standard comparison of IQ but I have to say that in good conditions it is becoming increasingly difficult to distinguish between pictures taken with any cameras.

Prices:
G80 £569 and £100 cashback = £469. Fantastic price for such a powerful tool.
G9 £1499 including grip which I don't want and even if I could sell it which I have some doubts about I could only expect £150 which means G9 would still be £1349. Assuming I can't sell it the G2 price is 3.3 times the price of the G80 and Taking value for money into consideration I think the G9 is much too expensive for what it gives me. That's not say it's bad value especially if you really need all the benefits it brings

Have I left anything out of my considerations?

-- hide signature --

Recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow