sony A7riii pixel shift vs Canon 5DR

Started Nov 13, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,370
sony A7riii pixel shift vs Canon 5DR

i have started this thread here as its neutral ground.rather than a sony or canon forem

i am not looking for a fanboy shoting match but a discussion

the discussion is

Is the sony pixel shift as good as it should be ?

or is the 5Dr resolving more than it should ....

or is DPR testing a bit dodgy

i have comped it the the 50mp 5DR and i honestly don't see much difference ..some parts of the DPR studio scene looks better/as good  for the canon some parts don't

the canon is hampered by a good but now old lens  this should be a big disadvantage to the canon

on DXO the sony 85mm F1.8 resolves 40 P-MP which is VERY good from a 42MP sensor the canon lens with a  8MP advantage  the EF85 F1.8 comes in at  23 P-MP on a 50 MP sensor  ...it would need a score of 46-48 P-MP to compete with the sony so sharpness wise the sony is in another league  with this vintage canon

i think if say the same zeiss otus was fitted to both i think the results will be as close as dammit the same

i am also surprised how much chromatic aberration there is with the sony lense but as DPR did not provide a non pixel shift test scene we don't know if its down to the pixel shift ...the CA can be seen in most parts of the test scene

i am not saying the sony is not on average sharper ..it is ...but i think that is purely down to the much better lens on the sony

i think DPR should test this with the same sharp lens on both

CA at the edge

CA at the center ...the canon lens is supposed to not be the best when it comes to CA

evan more CA

-- hide signature --

My 5D IS a MK1 classic
..........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
...........................................................................................................
Political correctness....somebody being offended on someone else's behalf....who doesn't give a damn in the first place ....David Appleton

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70s Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Canon EOS M5 +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow