Perfect travel camera for backpacking?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
swhang Forum Member • Posts: 90
Perfect travel camera for backpacking?

Hello all,

My beloved Pentax 16-85 lens has failed me. That and a cropped senor Pentax (KS-2) have been with me to many parts of the world and it took amazing photos. I don't have enough time to get it fixed as it'll take 2-3 months for it to get shipped to Japan. I am leaving for New Zealand for 4 weeks of outdoor activities (mainly hiking) on December 26th.

I am ANTI-Canikon b/c they don't innovate enough and Canikon users are a dime a dozen, with most of them not knowing anything about photography.

So with my broken lens, I thought about buying it again... led me to a rabbit trail of perhaps getting a new camera, a full-frame Pentax K-1, which is an incredible value. But then I thought about lugging that thing around all over NZ and I became tired thinking about.

That eventually led me to the Sony A7II. Wow... a full-frame in a compact body?!?! The Fuji Xt2 also showed up, but that doesn't have a full frame.

So have any of you traveled extensively with the A7ii? How is it for rugged travel? For backpacking. For me, it's a potential jump from my beloved Pentax as well as going from cropped sensor to full-frame.

I am not a professional, but love travel. Always shoot in RAW. I don't really do video nor action photography, but really into landscapes and dynamic range. I'm trying to keep costs below $2k.

Is getting a full-frame overkill?

Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow