Best DSLR or ILC for Night Sky Imaging?

Started Nov 8, 2017 | Questions thread
RustierOne
RustierOne Veteran Member • Posts: 4,314
Re: one reason a7s is singularly different for ease of AP>

bclaff wrote:

Trollmannx wrote:

Selene wrote:

Hi Landscaper, I want to thank you for starting this thread, as I have learned a lot from it. I am just getting started with astrophotography and also have a 5dmkIv. I think I have done reasonably well with it and have seen others who have gotten wonderful astro shots with it (at the level of milky ways, star trails, auroras, etc--not talking about deep sky). My friends have gotten wonderful shots with 6ds and Nikon 810s. I am sure the Sonys are great cameras, but I am happy with the camera I have and am more concerned about camera lenses. Have been using a 16-35 2.8 mk III and a 15 2.8 fisheye. The latter is wonderful, but I am not all that wild about the fisheye effect.

Fish eye lenses have a trick up the sleeve - the contellations appear undistorted all over the field. Ordinary wide angle lenses distort the sky severely towards the corners.

So if wanting super wide vistas with easy recognizable constellations the fish eye lens might have something to offer. Love mine for that reason.

And, FWIW, fish-eyes can be defished; right?

I too am not fond of the extreme curvature caused by a fisheye lens. But I've found use for mine (Samyang 8mm, f/2.8) by using one or both of the following:

1. Compose the image so that all (even most) straight lines are radial to the center of the FOV
  2. Use a Photoshop plugin like Fisheye Hemi to remove most of the distortion. There must be other similar products.
-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Russ

RustierOne's gear list:RustierOne's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow