Best DSLR or ILC for Night Sky Imaging?

Started Nov 8, 2017 | Questions thread
landscaper1
OP landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,484
Re: one reason a7s is singularly different for ease of AP>

Selene wrote:

Hi Landscaper, I want to thank you for starting this thread, as I have learned a lot from it. I am just getting started with astrophotography and also have a 5dmkIv. I think I have done reasonably well with it and have seen others who have gotten wonderful astro shots with it (at the level of milky ways, star trails, auroras, etc--not talking about deep sky). My friends have gotten wonderful shots with 6ds and Nikon 810s. I am sure the Sonys are great cameras, but I am happy with the camera I have and am more concerned about camera lenses. Have been using a 16-35 2.8 mk III and a 15 2.8 fisheye. The latter is wonderful, but I am not all that wild about the fisheye effect.

In any case, I have learned a lot from this thread, and I really appreciate the way you started it and kept it going. I know way more now than I did before I started reading it.

Selene, it's always nice to hear from someone who's gotten something out of the thread besides myself.

I agree with you about the fisheye effect.  I don't even care for the pronounced curvature you get from some ultra-wide lenses.  You might consider investing in some wide angle prime lenses.  I own the Rokinon 24/1.4 and 35/1.4.  They're less expensive than the Sigma Art offerings because they're strictly manual focus and aperture.  I don't find that to be a problem since autofocus is pretty much useless at night.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow