Best DSLR or ILC for Night Sky Imaging?

Started Nov 8, 2017 | Questions thread
a7sastro Contributing Member • Posts: 779
Re: one reason a7s is singularly different for ease of AP>

On that basis, it seems to me there is really no point in acquiring the Sony A7s no matter how affordable it might be. Does anyone disagree with that assessment? If so, please explain.

I would disagree in that you need to expand the basis.

Here's a review video that jumps (eternal link set to timecode) to a very demonstrable point of why the Sony a7s is singularly different:

Go to timecode 2:30 if viewing inside DP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mctD-hu4s9U#t=2m30s

^Can you do this with your Canon? Would this be helpful to your workflow?

[ie FOCUS AND FRAMING SHOT WYSIWYG at highest ISO and largest aperture of lens, then stop down for sharpness and lower ISO for DR and low noise for real exposures]

Also, the Sony line allows 4K photo review output from the HDMI. Maybe most don't take advantage of such feature, but I do. I wouldn't buy another camera without it.

For my purposes I quickly see on location (with a powered 32"4K display) pixel level issues I can correct or resolve. Sure wifi or SD download to a laptop, open the files, and zoom in to a particular region of a photo will be an alternative, but without a 4K display you cannot see the entire photo. And enjoy the extra complication of opening each photo v. scrolling quickly (faster than any image software) with the jog wheel of the Sony camera....

I can plug the camera in to a 4K display via a HDMI cable (micro HDMI interface of camera) and see photos in 4K resolution immediately without software, without zooming in. Yes the 12MP might seem limited to some pixel peepers, depends on your requirements....

The point of ease of WORKFLOW is very relevant, determine your requirements also based on efficiency of time under clear skies....

a7sastro's gear list:a7sastro's gear list
Sony a7S Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Rokinon 24mm F1.4 Aspherical Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow