Best DSLR or ILC for Night Sky Imaging?

Started Nov 8, 2017 | Questions thread
landscaper1
OP landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,488
Re: Best DSLR or ILC for Night Sky Imaging?

rnclark wrote:

Warkari wrote:

Why is nobody mentioning the Nikon D810A, which I thought was specifically designed for astrophotography and supposedly "records the red tones of H-alpha emission nebulae with 4 times more sensitivity to the 656nm wavelength compared to a standard DSLR"?

Great camera. But the answer here is one can make great nightscapes with any camera. If you want a specific astro mod for H-alpha fine, but some want more natural color. And any camera that can be modified can do equally well.

Most stock digital cameras have reasonable H-alpha response. The main problem is usually post processing that kills the reds. This is very common, even among experienced astrophotographers.

See: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/do_you_need_a_modified_camera_for_astrophotography/

Here, for example, see this guy's work with a Nikon D800e and sigma art 50 mm f/1.4:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75706432@N02/34817738812/in/photostream/

Plenty of H-alpha and stunning images. The lens is the key. Second is post processing that doesn't kill a signal you want. Third is good dark clear site away from light pollution. Fourth might be the camera.

Roger

"Great camera. But the answer here is one can make great nightscapes with any camera."

Thanks, Roger. That was the essence of what I was trying to learn in the OP. Mind you, I'm not complaining about the turns this thread took, even if I barely understand much of the technical discussion herein.

It's always gratifying the pose a OP question that leads others to jump off on fascinating side discussions of their own. I can't help but wonder how long it might've been before some of this technical and very informative give-and-take would've taken place if I hadn't posted my original question.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow