D850: Is auto-ISO effective?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
proudestmonkey
proudestmonkey Regular Member • Posts: 292
Re: D850: Is auto-ISO effective?

I have never used Auto ISO, until now, having purchased the D850, which is what I see you have.  The reason: the D850 tends to be much less forgiving to camera shake at slower shutter speeds due to its pixel size and density (as compared to my  previous DSLRs: D600 and D300), and because I've heard the ISO results for the D850 are at least marginally better than they were on my D600.  I am still playing around with the settings.  I do like that I can set the ISO sensitivity in three different ways: minimum shutter, max ISO, and now, whether it sets the shutter to faster, normal or slower.  Due to the D850s sensitivity to blur (as mentioned above), I am currently setting it to faster.  I am mostly using a Nikon 20mm f/1.8G lens, so I might normally set slowest shutter speed to 1/20, but for the past week, I've been setting it at 1/40, with a max ISO of 3200 just to see what I am getting.  So far, I am happy.  When I am out during the day, I just turn it off completely, and leave the ISO at a steady 64-400 depending on the conditions, because I am not going down to 1/40 for shutter speed.  I have so far tended not to need Auto ISO when using one of my VR lenses, even in less well-lit scenarios.

In sum, now that I am using a D850, I am using Auto ISO in darker conditions mostly because it is far preferable to have a little color noise than to have even a small amount of camera shake blurring.

proudestmonkey's gear list:proudestmonkey's gear list
Nikon D850 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Canon G7 X II +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow