Q from a Beginner: Best Lens for Pet/Dog Photography - D3400

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
scarletandgray New Member • Posts: 17
Q from a Beginner: Best Lens for Pet/Dog Photography - D3400

Hi all. I'm completely new to photography (and this blog), so please excuse any ignorance that comes across here! I'd definitely appreciate any suggestions.

I've had the Nikon D3400 for a bit now and I'm looking into adding a lens. I use my camera almost entirely for one purpose: documenting the life of my about 8 pound puppy. So far, I have been using the 18-55mm kit lens. I am considering adding a new lens to the mix.

Here are considerations (I think) I care about: (1) overall image quality/sharpness, (2) ability to autofocus quickly and accurately, (3) ability to produce nice background blur, (4) price (I'm on a lower budget). Some extra information: I've looked at the focal length of the shots that I've taken and have not found a discernible pattern. Shots tend to range from 35-50mm. The 50mm is help because the pup is so small but the 35mm is nice because I get extra background in the pic. Also, I'm a little bit worried about using a prime lens, since my puppy is always moving around and I usually have to be on the floor (on my stomach) in order to get a good angle--so it's a bit hard to move forward/back quickly enough to avoid missing good shots. However, if getting a prime lens will boost quality and improve skills, I'd be happy to go in that direction.

Based on some initial research, it seems like the following lenses are recommended steps up from the kit lens:

- Nikkor 35mm f/1.8

- Nikkor 50mm f/1.8

- Nikkor 18-140mm

- Sigma 17-50 f/2.8

Essentially, my question is the following: does anyone have thoughts on what lens might be a step up from the kit lens for the purpose of taking pics of a small dog on a D3400?

Thanks all!!!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3400
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow