Best DSLR or ILC for Night Sky Imaging?

Started Nov 8, 2017 | Questions thread
sharkmelley
sharkmelley Senior Member • Posts: 2,146
Re: Best DSLR or ILC for Night Sky Imaging?

landscaper1 wrote:

I want to thank everyone who responded to my initial post. I've learned a few things (well, maybe more than a few) that I didn't know before. I posted this query because I really didn't know whether my Canon 5Div was an optimum performer when it came to minimal noise at higher ISOs.

The information about the Sony A7s was news to me and very interesting. In principal, I can afford to buy an A7s (plus a Metabones adapter so my EF mount lenses will work on the A7s). However, while my budget may be capable of absorbing that expense, my 40 years of managing other peoples' money still governs my instincts. That's not to say "economy at any cost," but rather "evaluate whether the additional cost is justified by the performance gains."

That led me to check DPR's review of the A7s and compare noise levels at ISO 6400 for both the A7s and the 5Div. I'll concede the A7s has the edge, but it seems to me that it's an almost imperceptible edge over the 5Div. However, the 5Div's edge is, based on Rogers comments, its 5.35 micron pixel size despite being a FF sensor.

On that basis, it seems to me there is really no point in acquiring the Sony A7s no matter how affordable it might be. Does anyone disagree with that assessment? If so, please explain.

I haven't seen the DPR review that shows the noise comparison.  However if the comparison was performed under similar conditions to night time astrophotography then it should be a reasonable indicator of the final results you can expect from each camera.  However it might also rely on how well both manufacturers adhere to the standard with their ISO settings.

In the end though, you won't disappointed by any modern FF camera. Coupled with a good fast lens it will collect photons fast enough that the minor differences between the individual sensors will not usually be of critical importance.

Mark

sharkmelley's gear list:sharkmelley's gear list
Sony a7S Nikon Z6 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow