Fuji XF 55-200 or the "cheaper" XC 50-230?

Started Nov 10, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,968
Fuji XF 55-200 or the "cheaper" XC 50-230?

So I'm looking to get a telephoto lens for the X-T2 and was wondering what the optical differences are between these two.

Obviously, I see the XC 50-230 lens doesn't open up as wide (aperture) as the XF, but since I generally shoot at f/5.6 or smaller apertures for most of my subjects, this isn't a big concern for me.  So I guess excluding that and other minor mechanical differences, which one is optically better?  I'll probably be using it more for landscape and architectural work, and not so much nature (so fast AF isn't a big concern).

I just see that one is $200 more than the other.

Opinions?  I do have the 18-55mm XF f/2.8-4 lens which I am pleased with given what I paid for it (used for around $300) so I'm tempted to go with the XF telephoto, but if they are very similar optically, then I might just opt for the cheaper one (XC).  (also the extra 30mm zoom on the XC isn't a big factor for me either, although it's nice, it won't be a deal-breaker--as I'm more concerned about image quality than zoom range).

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 +12 more
Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow