Convince me to stay with Canon

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jaggedhorizon Contributing Member • Posts: 979
Convince me to stay with Canon

It's not a troll thread.  I don't do trolling, check my posts.

But I am seriously doubting what to do about my next body.  I am happy to stay with my 6D for a while but I was going to get a 135/2 or 85/1.4, and a 35/2 or 35/1.4 ii, and now I've cancelled all that and I'm wondering whether to switch to a Sony a7riii. ( I was all set to get a 6dii a few months ago, but despite the other improvements I think the sensor does not warrant a price of 2k or even 1.5k today).

Pluses for Sony: that amazing EyeAF, more mpix, more DR, lower system weight (depending on lenses too)

Pluses for 5DMkIV: no adapter, no cost for changing lenses, possibly cheaper as a system despite the camera being expensive, ergonomics that I like

My current lenses: Canon 16-35 f4, Canon 24-105 I F4, Canon 70-200 F4 L IS, Canon 100 2.8 macro, Sigma 50 DG EX ( I HATE the Sigma AF!), Samyang 14 mm 2.8

To be clear: my skill limits me more than the camera. But that doesn't mean a better camera couldn't make it easier to get good photos, or increase my keeper rate.  And anyway my girlfriend can inherit my 6D.

Many years ago I told myself I would not get another Sony product, but I have to respect what they're doing now with cameras, they certainly drive innovation and competition.

jaggedhorizon's gear list:jaggedhorizon's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EOE
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow