Not up to the Kit Lens Standard of Nikon

Started 1 week ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
syberad New Member • Posts: 7
Not up to the Kit Lens Standard of Nikon

If you are a JPEG photographer, you will not notice some aspects of the very poor performance of this lens because the software in Sony camera bodies will correct the extreme barrel distortion it produces at 16mm and the vignetting which is so bad that one could claim that the lens' image circle simply doesn't cover the sensor at the wide end of its focal length range.  This vignetting so bad that stopping down really doesn't make that much difference.  So if you shoot in RAW, this lens will be a very disappointing experience.

However, centre-sharpness and rendition are very satisfying although the same cannot be said of the frame corners at any focal length setting.  There are also colour balance issues with this lens which leave images looking fat too blue; I thought for a while that there was something wrong with my A6000 camera body but this colour-cast was not at all evident in photos taken with my Samyang 12mm f2.0.

Many reviewers have said that, as a kit lens, Sony's 16-50mm strikes the right balance on cost and performance but, in this regard, I have to say that as  Nikon DLSR user as well, Nikon do a far better job with their 18-55mm kit lens than does Sony.  Overall, I think that Sony have failed to design a lens that is up to the performance of their APSC mirrorless cameras and that it is only through clever in-cameral software manipulation, which is only effective on JPEG files, that this lens is in any way of merchantable quality.

syberad's gear list:syberad's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony a6000 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +10 more
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Wideangle zoom lens • Sony E • SELP1650
Announced: Sep 12, 2012
syberad's score
Average community score
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow