28-80mm kit zooms for D50?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
yardcoyote Senior Member • Posts: 8,751
28-80mm kit zooms for D50?

I'm continuing to work with my new old D50, and yesterday I tried out the 35-80mm D zoom that came with the camera. Images to come, but the lens itself has some issues. The zoom ring was actually stuck at about 50mm. I unstuck it, oh yes I did, and the lens seems to work, but there's still a kind of grindy feeling to the zoom, so I'm thinking the lens may not be a keeper. Depends on the images, of course.

But I am mightily intrigued by the zoom range, which I find very useful for working outdoors, which seems to be this camera's forte. The lens is light and small and it's just a really nice package for snapshooting. I've done a little reading and haven't been able to find an improved version of this lens, but 28-80mm kit zooms seem to be common as dirt in both the D and G series, and they get pretty good reviews.

Would a 28-80 be an improvement, optically and functionally, over my 35-80mm on my D50? Which version would be best? I have already tested a 18-55mm G series kit zoom, and what I'd like is to find a lens that was just as good but in my preferred focal length range,

Remember that this was a free camera, and I am trying to build a good cheap kit around it. I have sort of decided to buy a 50mm f/1.8 D as my first prime, and possibly add the 35mm f1/.8 G later. I was thinking the little zoom would be a nice companion for outdoor walkaround. Please remember that I am a newcomer to Nikon and don't know anything about the lenses or their histories and hierarchies. But I am interested in learning.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +12 more
Nikon D50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow