Why I'd buy the G9, but never bought the E-M1 MK2

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
razorfish Regular Member • Posts: 493
Why I'd buy the G9, but never bought the E-M1 MK2

The Panasonic G9 and the Olympus E-M1 MK2 appear to be quite evenly matched capability-wise. I basically have no brand preference between Olympus and Panasonic, but a big preference for the sensor size and lenses of micro four thirds. For a long time I've been considering to get the E-M1 MK2, but I never pulled the trigger. The G9 appears to fix my greatest issues with the E-M1 MK2, and is as such very desirable to me. Here's why:

1. The tripod thread.

This is the way a tripod thread should be. Lots of real estate and far away from any doors.

Compare now to the infinitely stupid position of the E-M1 MK2's thread:

So far forward, any normal tripod plate would stick out way in front. I won't have my camera looking so stupid, and it may even interfere with some big lenses. Also, a standard Manfrotto plate will most likely come into conflict with the battery door (I know the Camdapter Manfrotto plate I'm using would). It's almost like Olympus placed it there so that they can sell more of their own proprietary bottom plate (which BTW is useless to me because it does not support the Manfrotto mount). I never remove my tripod plate from the camera, so in my case the battery door would be permanently blocked.

What more, this placement is double painful for me. I prefer to use a Manfrotto plate made by Camdapter suitable for the Camdapter hand strap, because I hate neck straps like the plague. With Olympus' mount, both my tripod of choice and my strap of choice won't fit, so I will stay away from the E-M1 MK2.

2. The top LCD.

I know some people say it's not needed due to the back LCD, but I believe it will prove to be extremely valuable. Here's why: Coming from DSLRs, I and many others feel that mirrorless cameras handle like electronic toys. On a DSLR, most buttons need to be pushed and held in while turning a wheel in order to change a setting, eliminating the chance of accidental button presses. On most mirrorless cameras, each button brings up a menu, like on some mobile phone or other electronic device. While the Facebook generation may feel at home with that, any serious photographer used to serious equipment knows it's hopeless to work with, as it promotes accidental changing of settings, is slow and cumbersome (compared to the alternative), and does not provide a fluent user experience. So what does this have to do with the top LCD? Well, anyone who has used a serious DSLR knows that their quick and secure changing of settings is shown primarily on the top LCD, and Panasonic even said they included the top LCD to provide a more DSLR-like user experience. This bodes well for all of us who are sick of the electronic toy handling of many mirrorless cameras.

The top LCD is also excellent for checking settings much more quickly than on the back LCD. I'm currently using a Fujifilm X-T2, and the ability to see the settings of aperture, shutter speed, ISO and exposure compensation right there on the dedicated wheels provides an excellent user experience. I'm always aware of my settings, much more than I've even been with a mirrorless camera. While the G9 doesn't provide the wheels, the top LCD is a good substitute. Just glance down and immediately see the settings of your primary four exposure variables (together with the setting of the PASM dial, which shows what you can actually change). I believe Fuji's dedicated wheels are even better, but the DSLR approach of PASM dial and top LCD is still vastly better than the usual mirrorless menu hell.

razorfish's gear list:razorfish's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow