D700 over D300, are there any real benefits in speed and AF?

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Anders_Nilsson Regular Member • Posts: 184
D700 over D300, are there any real benefits in speed and AF?

I've been following the D300 in 2017 thread in the Pro DX forum with some interest. Reason is that I need a sports machine for my kids with reasonably fast AF but also with very accurate good tracking and reasonable chance of lock on.

My beloved Sony a99 Mk1 does not deliver in this department though it is far from hopeless. But it is not a sports machine.

Now, here in China, prices are like D300s for $375 or a D700 for $650. DX has the advantage of the nice and expensive Nikon 16-80 and the useful Tokina 12-28, I'm mostly a 20-105 mm type of person (if such a lens existed). Long lenses not on the list. But there is a great selection of old AF-D Nikkors that cover my needs.

I've thought very much of the D300s but then I read Ken Rockwell's review where he basically calls the D700 a poor man's D3 with better ergonomics. 5 fps is plenty enough for me (and the MB-10 ups it to 7fps with correct batteries) and 12MP is what I get from my compacts and I've never felt this as a limitation given that the pixels are sharp and DR is good enough.

But I got the feeling that everything the D300 does well the D700 does better (apart from being heavier). Is this correct? I can live without face detection and use central AF sensors but the camera has to track accurately.

I do not need a landscape or portrait machine, my a99 can handle that, but I need something that can handle a screaming toddler running around at full speed.

So, if I step up to FF instead of DX, does it bring real benefits for moving subjects and can the D700 handle the occasional landscape or travel scene or is it plain and simple outdated technology?

Note: I will absolutely not buy any D750 or D810 or D850. Much over my budget, it's the D700 or D300s I'm looking at if I go down the Nikon trail. The D7100 is also within budget but the D7200 probably not.

Anders_Nilsson's gear list:Anders_Nilsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Casio Exilim EX-10 Casio Exilim EX-100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a99 +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D300S Nikon D700 Nikon D7100 Nikon D7200 Nikon D750 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow