Best DSLR or ILC for Night Sky Imaging?

Started Nov 8, 2017 | Questions thread
RustierOne
RustierOne Veteran Member • Posts: 4,314
Re: Best DSLR or ILC for Night Sky Imaging?

sharkmelley wrote:

RustierOne wrote:

My question:

The star eater began kicking in at Bulb = 30 seconds. But a later firmware upgrade lowered that to a shorter exposure. Do you know what the limit is on current new A7S cameras?

The A7S star eater still only happens in bulb mode. So all exposures longer than 30sec are affected (because they have to be done in bulb mode) as well as short exposures done in bulb mode.

The expansion of the star eater issue to all exposures 4sec and longer was done only to the Mark 2 models i.e. the image stabilised models, because of the complaints about increased noise in long exposures compared to the Mark 1 models. The increased noise was probably thermal noise caused by the fact that the sensor has to free to move around and so it can no longer be in contact with heat sinks.

I can't see Sony ever going back to fixed sensors because photographers love image stabilisation, so the Sony A7S will probably remain the best ever Sony camera for low thermal noise.

Thanks for your informative reply, Mark. In your opinion, when star-eater is not initiated, are the Soy A7S cameras worthwhile for astrophotography. Seems like you reported some manipulation of RAW files in a way you didn't like. I know this has been discussed at length. But my interest in a replacement camera still points toward the A7S.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Russ

RustierOne's gear list:RustierOne's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow