Lens for daughter's gymnastics

Started Nov 24, 2016 | Discussions thread
semaphore Regular Member • Posts: 123
Re: Lens for daughter's gymnastics

JulieA wrote:

This is exactly what I was looking for. Yes, those images would be totally fine for my family and our photo albums and I would have been proud to get images like that. So thank you thank you thank you for posting those and the equipment you used.

Do note that those photos are taken under very favourable circumstances: an extremely well lit venue and at a rather short distance. Such an easy scenario can be handled by very budget gear indeed. Only you know whether the same conditions are applicable to yourself, of course; if they work for you, then great! Problem solved.

But the other posters aren't just being negative downers for the heck of it. Typical conditions are simply a lot more demanding on gear. For instance you said you have a 18-200mm but can't zoom far enough. If 200mm isn't enough then a 85mm would assuredly not be useful.

I can spend about $4-$5K on some new photograpahy equipment........ now the doors or more wide open and now I just can't decide do I ditch all the glass I have and go with a totally new set up or stick with Nikon and get the 70-200 2.8 and a D500?

The 70-200mm 2.8E is a fantastic lens and the D500 is a great body. This is a great combo and I don't think you can do any better with any other system.

I could probably even afford a full frame sensor camera

For this application, a fullframe camera probably wouldn't be particularly advantageous for you. You'll probably need the reach more.

semaphore's gear list:semaphore's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
nps
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow