K-S2 Aperture block failure repaired

Started Nov 6, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PIngp0NGMW Regular Member • Posts: 290
K-S2 Aperture block failure repaired

Hello everyone, a few months ago I reported that I was experiencing the black images problem on my K-S2. I came to realize that this was the dreaded aperture block failure problem. My camera was out of warranty (just about 2 years old now) and any third-party solution looked to be about $250 USD or so - quite steep.

I decided to take the plunge and fix it myself. I figured that if it worked that was awesome and if it didn't, well, the camera was out of warranty and a sunk cost.

I used this youtube video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzGbyZHPknQ

as a guide, even though it was for a K-50.  The instructions were largely similar.

I am VERY pleased to report that the repair was a success!  My K-S2 is working back as usual with normal, proper exposure pictures from the get go.  I am so happy my K-S2 is back to life.  I was not relishing dropping hundreds of dollars on a new camera after this one was still so young.  I am looking to many years of continued use of my little Stormtrooper.

So many screws!

With the skin peeled off...

The notorious aperture block.

The source of all my problems.  Thankfully, fixed!

PIngp0NGMW's gear list:PIngp0NGMW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Pentax K-01 Pentax K-S2 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +6 more
Pentax K-50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow