I will let the pictures speak for themselves

Started Nov 4, 2017 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,552
I will let the pictures speak for themselves

My wife wanted to do a maternity photoshoot, and I felt like 50mm wouldn't have been long enough for the space we had eyed to shoot. I tried the manual focus Samyang 85, and that was good when we practiced, but I didn't want to be hindered by MF in the heat of the moment. I loved the focal length and realized the versatility of AF would make it very useful for a lot of the shooting I do. I tried a Sigma 85 1.4 EX... I should have done my research before the purchase though. It was a behemoth. And it turned out that Brian Smith's test was wrong; it and the 50 1.4 EX do NOT autofocus with the Fotodiox Pro, and I didn't want to spend more money to get the Metabones just for them.

Long and short of it, this lens is awesome. IQ is phenomenal wide open; AF is fast and reliable and it handles very nicely with its low weight and small size.

Anyway, here are my favorites from the shoot. I do think I may have pushed the WB a bit too warm in post; it was not quite this warm out, but in any case I think it fits the mood of the shoot. Check them out:

Overall very happy with my second native FE lens. I would definitely recommend having this in your bag. 85mm is a lot more versatile than I thought it would be.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F1.8 FE Samyang AF 45mm F1.8 FE
Sony FE 85mm F1.8
Prime lens • Sony FE • SEL85F18
Announced: Feb 7, 2017
sportyaccordy's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow