By ALL means test out your new camera's lens

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SaltLakeGuy
SaltLakeGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 13,654
By ALL means test out your new camera's lens

I'll be providing a link you folks can download a competent lens resolution/alignment testing chart from. I highly recommend if you can, to print it at 22x17, but at the minimum 13x19. Placing it level on a distant wall in your home would be sufficient. What I've typically done with a RX10MkIII and my new MkIV is place it on a tripod, Steadyshot OFF of course. Set the timer to the 10 second timer to eliminate vibration possibilities.

I would also suggest shooting in "A" mode at f4 as a guideline. at the 600mm. Set the whole thing up so you can use it at 600mm. I'm assuming you'll have a room or area you can do this. The first copy of a RX10MkIII I originally got had a weak side for sharpness, went back and the replacement was flawless. Ironically the exact same thing happened with my new RX10MkIV. The right side began to lose sharpness just right of center and especially the extreme right corners, which were obviously NOT as sharp as the center or left side.

Make absolutely sure you are correctly perpendicular as if you are on a slight angle that will adversely effect your results as well. I keep these charts around for checking out ALL the new camera/lens combos I've had over the last 20 years and it's saved me a lot of grief making sure I had a good copy. I'm sorry to say Sony has been a significant offender in regards to putting out duff copies of lenses and or fixed lens cameras not doing their diligence in the QC area. Do of course print this chart out at best resolution and as large as possible as that will improve it's ability to diagnose.

Ideally frame it when testing, so you are inside the dark area where numbers and lines are present. Enjoy, and I hope most all of you got good copies. My replacement came Wednesday and passed this test with flying colors so I'm good to go.

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/ISO_12233-reschart.pdf

-- hide signature --

A member of the "Been There Done That" club. Owned nearly every camera brand and type you can name along the way.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow