Better IQ on Nikon 24-70mm vs 17-55? on D500

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Classick Junior Member • Posts: 42
Better IQ on Nikon 24-70mm vs 17-55? on D500

Hi folks,

A month ago I purchased the D500 along with the 35mm DX lens, since then I've been able to quickly grow my lens collection due to some opportune store deals.

Last week I bought a used Nikon 17-55mm 2.8 for £450 in store with the option to return the lens within 14 days. I only want to invest in lenses that can bring out the full quality of the D500s sensor and so I'm wondering if the 17-55mm is still able to do that...  From an IQ point of view, would the 24-70mm be an improvement?

My second dilemma is the focal length (which I realise is something I'll need to decide more for myself). On a day to day basis (around London) I definitely prefer photographing people more than landscapes, and I realise the 24-70mm offers the full portrait focal length of 36-105mm at f2.8. However I feel the 17-55mm offers say 75% of the portrait spectrum and still covers wide angle for those landscape shots I do want to capture.

I realise I could pair the 24-70mm with the 14-24mm, but I don't feel like a dedicated landscape lens at such a high price may be worth it for me. That's where the 17-55mm works great, because it lets me 'dip into' wide shots when I want it.

In addition I have the 70-200 f2.8 vr2 which I managed to pick up new in John Lewis for £950 (the shops very last model before upgrading to the FL).

And the Nikon 58mm 1.4 which I bought from the same store under the similar circumstances. Love it, really interesting lens.

Can I expect higher IQ from the 24-70mm over the 17-55mm and treat it as a dedicated portrait lens? And what are DX users satisfaction with the 24-70 as a 'main' lens?

Cheers, and sorry for the long winded post!

Classick's gear list:Classick's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
Nikon D5 Nikon D50 Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow