Bought an A7II today..

Started Oct 31, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,056
Bought an A7II today..

Just to give you all a bit of backstory - I'm a A9 shooter who's moving into 'proper' paid work (I currently do a few bits that is nothing more than beer tokens). Since moving from Canonland, I've been well aware of my need to look at a backup body. I'm a single shooter, so a backup really is, just a backup.

Although I was planning on waiting to see what happened with the A7III and making a decision on A7II/A7III/A6500 from there, Amazon discounted the A7II to £999 (£799 after cash back), and decided to bite.

As far as a backup goes - same sensor size, same MP readout, similar controls.. What's not to like?

Well, just two things;

1. The battery. I'm well aware of the capacity that's expected, but it's the fact that there's so much wasted space! Give it a squeeze, and it's immediately apparent they could fit a bit more storage in there!
  2. The lack of dedicated battery charger - I always like to preserve my USB connectors where possible, and made the assumption it'd include a dedicated battery charger.

Other than that, I really don't understand why this camera gets the kicking I've seen it get on this forum, when you keep it in context. I've heard the likes of "may as well not even have AF" and "the sensor belongs in a museum". Let me be clear here; Unless I was pixel peeping, you'd be hard pushed to notice the difference in IQ between the two cameras - it's more than capable of knocking out excellent images. Secondly - yes the AF gets a bit ropey out wide, but keep things relatively central, and I would describe it as excellent, but it's definitely more than good.

As for keeping things in context - in this price bracket, what other FF options do you have? A used 6D OR D610? A few hours in and I can already tell you this camera runs rings around the pair.

If you're looking for a budget FF (either as a backup, or entering into the world of FF), I cannot recommend this high enough for the money paid.

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +5 more
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D610 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow