RX10-4 question on EVF/Monitor brightness and lack thereof

Started Oct 28, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jarrell Conley
Jarrell Conley Forum Pro • Posts: 15,455
RX10-4 question on EVF/Monitor brightness and lack thereof

I like using off camera strobes attached to the camera's flash shoe using a special voltage dropping pc cord device that slides into the shoe.  I then plug my strobe into this device via a long pc cord.

To use these manual strobes (the light intensity of the strobe is regulated by a sliding control on the units back panel) I need to have the camera set to manual, that is I set the f/stop and shutter speed and I don't want them to vary.  I also will set the iso manually.  Now for the problem.  If I have the camera set to A for aperture priority the EVF/Monitor is nice and bright, but when I change the top control dial to S or M they go almost completely black.  I notice, in A mode that none of the readouts across the bottom of the monitor are flashing but when I turn the top dial to S mode the letters Tv briefly flash on the screen and in M mode it does the same plus the over/under exposure reading flashes '-2' (my quotations) even though the dial that controls over/under exposure is set to 0.  What is it that I'm doing wrong or have set wrong?

For what it's worth the camera exhibits this whether any strobes are attached to it or not.

Thanks for any help.

Jarrell

Jarrell Conley's gear list:Jarrell Conley's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon Coolpix 5700 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D750
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow