A short rant on the new D-FA* 50/1,4

Started Oct 27, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Richard Murdey
Richard Murdey Senior Member • Posts: 2,993
A short rant on the new D-FA* 50/1,4

You know, I do get it. It's an arms race and its what people want, and given the sensor resolutions these days if they'd just updated the FA 50/1.4 with a new design and in-lens AF motor people would have complained long and hard...

But I can't stand here and pretend that I'm excited about a 50/1,4 that's the size of a 100/2,8 macro and then some, and I'm guessing will cost about $1500 at launch. I am confident it will deliver the desired performance, but it's not a direction that I can endorse at a personal level.

The usual retort is "Well, Pentax doesn't force you to use it!" True,  not that lens and not FF either. In theory nothing prevents me from fitting a K-1 with the M-50/1,4 if I wanted a relatively compact standard lens combo on Pentax FF. But in the same breath it must be admitted that when design effort is 80% concentrated on this high end stuff, and 20% on entry level zooms, the midrange ends up neglected - and that's a shame.

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D750 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +11 more
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
PDL
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow