Capture One not a LR replacement for me

Started Oct 25, 2017 | Discussions thread
OP Dale Garman Senior Member • Posts: 1,025
Capture 1 Catalog Size - Phase One Official Reply

Here is Phase One Technical Support reply

"We recommend keeping catalogs to under 35k images to keep loading times to a minimum. Previews are generated when images are imported, but additionally any adjustments and metadata to the files are logged to the cocatalogdb file, which can take considerable time as well."

That along with my experience suggests that performance drops off a cliff after that size. So if you want to use larger catalogs, C1 is not the product. If you do more session oriented stuff with much smaller batches than that seems to be what it is designed for.

They also referenced this article which probably reflects the philosophy around the current design which essentially argues that large catalogs are a bad idea.

https://digitaltransitions.com/catalogs-vs-sessions-epic-battle-times/

While it took a while to get a number, and it is not disclosed anywhere on their knowledge base, I do appreciate finally getting it, as that answers what I was observing.

Dale Garman's gear list:Dale Garman's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow