Buying a new MacBookPro - for Lr - 13" or 15"

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Greg Edwards Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: Buying a new MacBookPro - for Lr - 13" or 15"

Not on a regular basis, I agree. But usefully the retina displays can be tweaked to display higher resolutions making and palettes take up much less room. Natively the 13" can be run at 1680x1050 (about the same as my old 21" ) or with a 3rd party tool it can even run at 2560x1600, althouh this does make everything tiny.
I almost went with the 13" to save money intending to run it at a higher resolution as I use InDesign quite a lot which takes up a lot of screen real estate, but in the end found a used 15" 2015 in perfect condition and maxed out for less than a new base level 2017 13" macbook pro.  It's more than enough power for me and will last a good few years. Heck, it runs at a higher resolution than the 24" monitor I was previously using with my old macbook.
Personally, I will and have never paid full price for a new mac. I always recommend either a refurb or buying a used previous year's model. IMO, nobody, really needs the very latest model when last year's works just as well and will continue to do so for a number of years. Not unless there's a huge change in hardware, like the jump from Power PC to Intel, or more recently, Core2Duo to Core i3/5/7.

PS. if anyone is struggling with screen space and they have an iPad, I can highly recommend the Duet app. It's quite useful to be able to dump floating tools and palettes off to a second screen. Lightroom natively supports multiple monitors too.

Greg Edwards's gear list:Greg Edwards's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM HP Photosmart B110 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow