Buying a new MacBookPro - for Lr - 13" or 15"

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 12,798
Re: Buying a new MacBookPro - for Lr - 13" or 15"

Jacques Cornell wrote:

One other note on a high-end 13". For the money, you get a lot more bang for your buck - in terms of both CPU and GPU power - with a 15". The power/price sweet spot on the 13" seems to be the $1500 13", maybe paying another $200 each for 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. Oddly, the processor upgrades seem improve Geekbench scores by only about 5-10%. Also, $600 for the 1TB SSD seems, shall we say, not cost-effective. For that money, you could add a 1TB portable SSD ($380) and a 4TB desktop drive ($180), and celebrate the savings with a couple of pizzas.

But then, you forego the Touchbar. Oh gosh.

I don't know why you seem to think that you need to get a maxed-out 13" rMBP with 1 TB of flash to get the Touch Bar.

You do need to go with the $1800 model – that gets you a faster CPU, twice as many TB 3 ports, and the Touch Bar.  Make the 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD customizations that you recommended for the $1500 model, and you're at $2200.

The extra TB 3 (USB-C) ports may be more significant than the Touch Bar and faster CPU.  Let's say that you wanted to connect power, a conference room projector, and a (wired) mouse.  Certainly possible with one mini-dock, but if you were doing it using individual connections, then having four ports might be handy.

I concur with your advice about the 15" rMBP, although for some people, the biggest advantage may be having a screen that is bigger than a 13" one in both physical and pixel count terms.  I'm sure we'd all love to have 30" laptop screens if it wasn't completely impractical!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow