Sigma 30 f1.4 DC or Sony 35 f1.8 OSS?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 6,665
Re: Sigma 30 f1.4 DC or Sony 35 f1.8 OSS?

coreyweb wrote:

caterpillar wrote:

I just want to ask for those who own or have experience of the Sigma 30 f1.4 DC. I am torn which one to get. The other consideration is the sony 35 f1.8 OSS. I know both are good lenses, but the Sigma is about 2/3 stop faster, and is supposed to be slightly sharper than the sony.

So, what is your opinion of the Sigma lens? Anything I should know in other areas of performance like AF speed, AF accuracy, etc.?

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar
'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

I love the Sigma, but the AF leaves quite a bit to be desired when compared to native Sony lenses. The Sigma is absolutely beautiful and probably the sharpest APSC lens. Also one of fastest with the 1.4 aperture.
But i'd say if you do a lot of continuous shooting, or try to shoot actions, movement, etc....it's not ideal.
It doesn't do PDAF on the outer edges of the frame like native Sony stuff.

Those are the issues that I am grappling with. Right now, there is a sale on the sony lenses in our country. The price of the 35 f1.8 is just U$10 more than the sigma. Depending on how one looks at it, deciding now has either become easier or harder.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar
'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow