G85 or OMD EM Mk1?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Handiworks
Handiworks Regular Member • Posts: 161
G85 or OMD EM Mk1?

Looks like I need to change my signature having sold all my DSLR kit!

Many on this forum were extremely helpful answering my initial m43 format questions about this time last year when the G85 came out. In the end I decided to just wait and see how it performed. I've since sold my Nikon and glass and am going nuts using only my iPhone (Even though it's 12mp continues to exceed my expectations!).

So here's my question. OMD EM1 Mk 1 with Zuiko 12-40 Pro 2.8 or G85 with Kit 12-60?
I've read some of the focus issues with the G85 but have no personal experience with it, being stuck in the middle of where they Dance With Wolves, there is not any shop near where I could test it out.

I've been able to locate a couple of deals online still for the Mark 1 Oly OMD EM1 with the 2.8 pro lens for about the same price as the G85 with the Kit.

Thoughts? The Mark ii is out of my price range but I've also heard a small rumbling of a possible refresh with a G9 later this year.

Thanks for any and all opinions. I'm also open to other formats, but in the end I think the M43 meets my needs well (small, robust, great lens choices). I will be using it for family stills and short videos, landscapes of Montana and the Dakotas, and Americana.

I'm also interested in what everyone's thoughts are on brand support and overall user preference (menus, customization, lenses) between Panny and Olympus.
I love this forum!

~C

-- hide signature --

D5500, D200, & 1 MFT lens and building
"A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Handiworks's gear list:Handiworks's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
dav
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow