Buying advice: a7(s?) or a99 on a budget?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
relaxing Forum Member • Posts: 61
Buying advice: a7(s?) or a99 on a budget?

It's time I upgraded from my 10 year old a100. I have a new baby on the way and want to document as any parent would.  I also like to shoot live music and events as a hobby. I'd like to spend around $1000 on a used body, or possibly more on a used body + do-it-all lens if there was a compelling reason.

I have some FF a-mount lenses. Nothing especially fancy or valuable that would lock me into a-mount vs e-mount, but I would keep using them (SAL50F14, Tamron 90mm macro, a fisheye, a bunch of adapted Russian m42 fast primes, and the Sigma 10-20mm even though it's a crop lens.)

I think my biggest interest in mirrorless would be silent shooting on the a7s, for taking pictures during quiet concerts. Those who have that feature, is it as much a game changer as I think it would be?  If I went that route, would I miss the features I'd give up on the a99?

Probably my biggest question I have is different focus modes on the a7 series. I see that the a7s lacks PDAF... how huge of a deal is that?

What about using older lenses with the motorized adapter - number of focus points etc? If I adapt my old lenses, will I regret not having SSM?  Obviously I'm comfortable manual focusing but it would be nice to have fast, reliable AF I think!

If I don't have any OSS lenses, will I miss IBIS with the a7 series?

Thanks in advance!

Sony Alpha a7S Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow