Nikon 200-500 VR made me sell...

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MrHollywood Regular Member • Posts: 277
Nikon 200-500 VR made me sell...

Two more expensive lenses and here's why:

1) The 80-400 AF-S drove me crazy. It had some of the worst focus breathing since the 70-200 VRII. Used at shorter ranges it got nowhere remotely close to 400mm. It also wasn't super sharp wide open, though better than my previous 80-400 model. The 200-500 was actually sharper (tack sharp!) at 500mm than the 80-400 was at 400mm. The only issue was that the 200mm wide end was less versatile, but I had that covered by other better glass anyway. 80-400 = SOLD

2) The 200-400 F4 was always an impressive optic. But again the new 200-500 bested it for sharpness and then had even better VR. The f4 lens had better bokeh and that's about it, but the size of the thing was always an issue compared to the 200-500 and I just stopped using it.  200-400 = SOLD

The downsides of the 200-500 are the less than ideal bokeh (though it's still pretty good), slower AF than top tier glass and for some it's too big to handle, which is why some folks will keep their 80-400. But for me, the 80-400 always felt and performed like a consumer lens while the 200-500 punches WAY above its weight. I'm looking forward to using it on my D850, which I hope will be delivered before global warming kills us all.

Rob

MrHollywood's gear list:MrHollywood's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Nikon D800 Nikon D5300 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 +8 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow