First Barn Door Tracker shots - CC Most welcome

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
draacor
draacor Senior Member • Posts: 1,417
First Barn Door Tracker shots - CC Most welcome

So I decided to build myself a barn door tracker for some star shots. I drove up to Lake Tahoe because hey why not its only 20 minutes away. I have shot bonsai rock before but only with 20 or so second exposures. This time i wanted to get a much clearer star shot without all the noise i had to deal with at 6400 ISO. I feel the first results turned out quite good, and I cant wait to get back out there and maybe try and get a nebula or galaxy shot with a longer lens.

Being that my camera was on a barn door tracker, I had to take two shots one for the stars and one for the foreground as the foreground would undoubtedly be blurred out.  The above image was at ISO 500 and 182 second exposure. I may crank up the ISO even more the next time i try this to get more but because of all the light pollution in the distance not sure if it would turn out much better and then I would start introducing more noise.

And here is the famous bonsai rock. I kind of lucked out because up above us on the main road there was all kinds of construction. But the light from the work trucks was casting just a hint of light on the rock, thus making it much easier to see.

I know these are not perfect but i had a blast using the tracker. Id love to hear what everything thinks of the results! If anyone has any interest in star photography i highly suggest building one of these. It is super simple to build and i feel it gets great results!

draacor's gear list:draacor's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow