Canon 5DIV and Canon family

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
flatpicknut
flatpicknut Regular Member • Posts: 355
Canon 5DIV and Canon family

Yes, I do enjoy reading specs and reviews for cameras from other companies (and I do have twinges of jealousy, lol), but I don't just use a camera - I use a family of cameras and lenses and flashes and batteries. When I work, the consistency and ease of menus and buttons and batteries all make my job easier. Years shooting with this system have given me a comfort that I savor.

For instance, this has been a busy week for me - Theatre headshots on Tuesday, Soccer/senior night on Thursday evening, HS football- first round playoffs Friday night, swim team at conference meet on Saturday, two senior sessions on Sunday, and Soccer district playoffs this evening (all in addition to a full-time job). Lots of challenging lighting at the high school events (often 12.8k ISO) but my 5DIV and 5DIII were up to the job, letting me respond quickly to changes as lighting and activity shifted through each event. My 24-70 f/2.8L II on one hip and either the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II or 100-400II on the other hip, the Canon gear with its performance and interface didn't get in my way but helped keep me a happy (but exhausted) photographer.

Canon provides a great system and I love it. Would I consider changing to another company? Certainly not anytime soon! Just considering learning new menus and new button layouts and action, and even the seemingly minor issues of worrying about different batteries between models - shudder. My experience and comfort with the Canon system is worth a lot to me!

Oh, I should mention another factor - support. CPS support for cleaning and repairs has been a great value to me and is another significant factor in considering a camera system.

Yes, read the specs for new cameras and consider if they will be worth the change, both in cost as well as in time gaining experience and comfort with the new system when used under pressure. Individual specs are pretty easy to read - understanding the bigger "picture" is more of a challenge.

-- hide signature --

Doug Brock

flatpicknut's gear list:flatpicknut's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +9 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow