LR Classic no Replacement for Photo Mechanic?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Contributing Member • Posts: 963
LR Classic no Replacement for Photo Mechanic?

I am getting back from a race weekend in Austin and was hoping to cull my photos in LR Classic since the culling capabilities are faster. Either I am doing something wrong or the improved performance is really not that great.

I imported the photos using the "embedded & sidecar" option. After transfer the photos to my drive, LR started to perform a generating previews option. Since the operation was taking a long time, I cancelled that operation. Maybe that was my mistake.

After importing the photos, I tried to cull in the library module. When a scroll through the photos I get a "...loading" message from LR that delays the photo display a second or two. This is a big deal when reviewing thousands of photos.

The other thing I noticed with LR is that you cannot zoom into a photo and switch photos while in zoom mode.

Question: when importing photos using the "embedded & sidecar", must you wait for the creating previews to complete to get the fast culling performance?

With Photo Mechanic, there is no waiting to create previews and you can switch photos while in zoom mode.

Please teach me to fish using LR Classic.

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow