Looking for lens advice - Lumix G 25mm F1.7 vs Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC DN C

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nick779 Junior Member • Posts: 40
Looking for lens advice - Lumix G 25mm F1.7 vs Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC DN C

Im looking to expand my kit a bit for some sharper images and better low light performance. I shoot mostly nature, some landscapes, events, nothing in particular. I almost never shoot with my kit lens on the wide end, im almost always zoomed in at least a bit.

My current kit is added to this account, and I already intend on buying a 42.5/45mm prime, most likely the Lumix G 42.5 f1.7 for its closer focusing distance (in place of a dedicated macro lens for now)

But I'm on the fence about my second prime. I know that the Sigma 30mm 1.4 is statistically a sharper and faster lens with a more usable range of apertures with minimal distortion, my thought is that its so close to the 42.5 am I just wasting money or will I even bother swapping lenses for that small of a difference? Dont get me wrong, the Lumix 25mm is inexpensive and has decent ratings on Dx0 but the acutance map looks awful until about 2.8 where its mostly in the green, and the vignetting is pretty bad until 2.8 as well.

Source: https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sigma-30mm-F14-DC-DN-C-Micro-43-on-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-versus-Panasonic-LUMIX-G-25mm-F17-ASPH-on-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-versus-Sigma-30mm-F28-EX-DN-Mount-Micro-43-on-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II__1691_1136_1596_1136_829_1136

Can any of you guys who have been in this situation or who own the Lumix 25mm comment on its sharpness or your thoughts?

nick779's gear list:nick779's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow