Best general lens for 80D?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
stratobill Senior Member • Posts: 1,939
Re: Best general lens for 80D?

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Tom Holly wrote:

Yep, a great lens. The 15 is significantly wider, and the 85 significantly longer. The only problem is it's a slow zoom.

The 5.6 aperture is, indeed, the unfortunate drawback of this otherwise terrific lens. (That is likely the cost of such a wide focal and versatile focal range.) Having said that, for family and travel use (the OP's purpose), it's fine, especially for the 80D and it's competent high ISO capability.

I just picked up the SL2 (partly because of your recommendation) and I used to have the 15-85.

I wish I still did! That lens was great, but unfortunately I sold it when I went full frame.

I still have the old 18-55 V1 from the t2i- horrible.

Got the 24mm pancake- great

40mm 2.8 pancake, 50mm f1.8STM- Ok

16-35 F4- Really great, just a bit short.

24-105 F4 V1- Meh, not the greatest, but I may need to bring it when I travel for the longer range.

I will say that the SL2 lightens my carry on bag a lot, so long as I don't succumb to the heavier lenses!

stratobill's gear list:stratobill's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow