Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
WryCuda Senior Member • Posts: 7,654
Re: Viewsonic monitor and laptop with displayport connection not getting signal

Offside wrote:

WryCuda wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

Offside wrote:

Gesture wrote:

Try a DisplayPort to HDMI cable as suggested. That is what I use for an old Dell Desktop that has VGA and DisplayPort and it works fine. Both DisplayPort to DVD or DisplayPort to HDMI work fine.

Does you laptop have miniDisplayPort or full DisplayPort?

The laptop has the full DisplayPort. The monitor connector is the mini port.

Both speak DisplayPort? Just get a DisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort cable.

Don't waste your time with this OP, who refuses to make it clear just what his connection options are, or what connection methods he has tried.

WryCuda, do you know how to read?

As a refresher, here's my OP again.

My wife has a HP laptop and has been using en external monitor for years (VGA connection).

I purchased a Viewsonic monitor as a replacement.

My connection options are displayport or USB. That's all the laptop has, in addition to VGA.

Neither connection sends a signal to the monitor.

Should this be plug-and-play or are there settings I need to tweak?

I tried rebooting and there is still no signal to the monitor.

Thanks in advance as I am heading out of town for the weekend.

The above says all that is needed.

The only option left is a VGA to HDMI converter, since all other suggestions do not work.

Yep, I can read, and I'm also technically competent.

Here's extracts from a couple of your most recent posts which indicate that you aren't making much progress, also that your original post wasn't complete...

• The laptop has the full DisplayPort. The monitor connector is the mini port.
  • Thanks for your post. The monitor came with a Mini DisplayPort cable but the monitor also has the full size port.
  • I ordered a VGA to HDMI cable and a DisplayPort to HDMI cable. Hopefully one of these will work.

Provided that I read your various posts correctly, there's absolutely no reason why the highlighted cable options should work, unless you still aren't revealing all the options.

If you had initially listed all the available connections on both computer and monitor, together with a statement of what you had actually tried, a diagnosis would have been quickly forthcoming. If I recall, several others responded in a manner that suggested that they were also confused by your available options and connection attempts.

For what it's worth, my guess is that the computer's DisplayPort is dead. Check the monitor with another computer, and vice versa.

Also make sure that you have optioned the computer to make the DisplayPort active. It's usually a cyclic Fn-4 procedure.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow