Why Focal Lenght doesn't matter - A Prime Lens Travel Challenge at Berlin

Started Oct 22, 2017 | Discussions thread
OP markusw Contributing Member • Posts: 873
Part II: With the 18 from Alexanderplatz to Brandenburger Tor

Ok, here is the second part of my small challenge.

I arrived in late afternoon at Berlin Alexanderplatz, and it took me a short time to get used to the situation. I was tired after a long rail travel, overwhelmed by the crowd around, and also a bit frustrated because the sun had hidden behind thick and dark clouds.

So I started to capture the famous clock at the Alexanderplatz, but it doesn't work for the first minutes. So I decided to go back to the station, and recognized that I could get this including the big radio tower:

Berlin Alexanderplatz

So, this picture was more a kind of accident Lesson learned: If nothing works, turn around.

Walking along the railway track, I found a nice little restaurant. This reminds me a bit of the old West-Berlin Spirit ("poor but sexy"):

Next destination was the Berlin cathedral, built close to the River Spree. On the other side of the cathedral, I found myself at a real busy street (like so many at Berlin). The yellow double-floor buses are very typical for decades now.

Berlin Cathedral (calm side)

Berlin Cathedral (busy side)

The so-called "S-Bahn" (fast city trains) was one of the first in Germany, and was a important connection between West and Eastern Berlin in times of the Wall. The "S" sign is still in its original vintage design:

S-Bahn Potsdamer Platz

After a short ride, I arrived at the Brandenburger Tor (Brandenburg Gate), one of Berlin's famoust places. Again, I was overhelmed by the crowd... so many tourists were posing in front of the gate for selfies. I tried to get a view without people, but it doesn't work at this time of the day. So I decided to include 'em in my shot:

Brandenburger Tor

Walking through the gate to the opposite side (in direction to the Reichstag), things were looking much calmer

Brandenburg Gate

Finally, I managed to arrive at the Central Station to continue my trip.

Berlin Central

My conclusion: If I would go with just one lens, the 18 seems a very reasonable FL. Most of the sceneries could have been done also with my 35, or also something wider - of course with a different look.

Thanks for looking

-- hide signature --

M.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.flickr.com/people/126876759@N02/

markusw's gear list:markusw's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow