Advice on long road trip...

Started Oct 20, 2017 | Discussions thread
Fishchris
OP Fishchris Senior Member • Posts: 3,685
Re: Advice on long road trip...

Austinian wrote:

(Just a few additions to all the excellent suggestions you and others have made)

Gary from Seattle wrote:

Although I've never been, if I was taking that drive to Louisiana, I'd visit Big Bend National Park in Texas.

Kind of far out of the way; personally I'd do that only if I had lots of time.

On a more northern route I'd visit Anazasi ruins near Cortez, Colorado.

In New Mexico consider Taos or San de Ilfonso Pueblos and the Sandia mountains out of Albuquerque.

Yes, along with Santa Fe those are splendid places to visit.

SF is a good place to take a rest day and see a few of the fantastic art galleries and museums. Photographer hint: some of the finest photos I've ever seen (especially B&W) are at this gallery:

http://www.andrewsmithgallery.com/artists.html

In Arizona consider visiting Acoma or Sky Pueblo to see the Zuni culture.

As I recall the Zuni res and Acoma are in New Mexico between Albuquerque and the AZ border.

I suspect Shiprock will not be that big of deal compared to the rest of the landscape you will see.

I agree. After places like Bryce or GC, IMO Shiprock isn't terribly impressive.

Don't get me wrong, I think Bryce, Zion, the GC etc, are all amazing places, but Shiprock just awes me. I've seen lots of pics of it, and I'd just love to get a great one of it myself, which could be printed large on aluminum. This is one of those things that "I know" not everybody would be so thrilled by, as I am.

You ever see the old movie, "Close Encounters of The Third Kind" ??? .....where a bunch of people had images of the big rock (Devils Tower Wyoming) implanted in there brains, and they just had to get to it at all costs ??? Well this is me with Shiprock lol

-- hide signature --

Photos are my paintings. The camera is my brush.
DPreview gallery; http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5075216809

Fishchris's gear list:Fishchris's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow