Lightroom subscription only

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
stevepix Regular Member • Posts: 247
Lightroom subscription only

When using a DAM you need to be wary that it can export metadata, e.g. keywords in a format that allows transition of data to another software if you so choose to switch.

When using a RAW-processor you need to be aware of the fact that the processing settings are mostly more or less useless to other programs because most settings cannot be interpreted in the same way by another processor. This is not good but kind of axiomatic. If you change your raw-processor you need export "old images" with old processor and "new images" with new processor.

When using subscription only software you can read your data as long as you pay. If you switch to a new software you must continue to pay for the old only to read your "old data". This means you are basically stuck or need to transfer as much data as you can to the new/other software you are using. This probably means to export all RAW images to tiff + all metadata you can save. When doing exports in your new software you somehow need to be be able to control if the software uses the raw or the tif as basis to render images according to the export specification (pixel count, format, quality, ....). Not sure if there is software around there that does it ... but even if it does the mess is awful.

DAM! Full lock-in!

I will not move to the Lightroom subscription model and will have a look for more promising approaches that will allow me to read the data that I own even if I am not using the program that created it for creating new data.  Bye-bye Adobe.

stevepix's gear list:stevepix's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow