Overhead lighting product photography

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
motion Contributing Member • Posts: 785
Overhead lighting product photography

I often need to photograph products from above (to get a complete overview) and wonder what kind of lighting setup I could use without having the camera/me block the lighting? The products are often electronic circuit boards with components reaching upwards a bit, so lighting from the sides also means blocking the light reaching towards the middle of the product.

Since these are just hobbyist/home type photos I've done it quickly using a Canon 6D/24-70 f/2.8L II with a Canon 580EX II Speedlite on top, bouncing towards the ceiling at various angles or bouncing towards a white paper sheet with varying degrees of success.

If it's not a matter of just changing my technique with the above gear I do have additional pro/semi-pro gear I can use, but of course demands more time setting up:

• Elinchrom BXRi studio strobes (2 pcs.) with stands, softboxes, umbrellas, reflectors, wireless trigger etc.
  • Canon 430EX Speedlite (can also be attached to stands and used with umbrellas, the same goes for the Canon 580 EX II)
  • Phottix Ares (manual) wireless triggers and receivers
  • camera tripod
  • various lenses (Sigma 50 f/1.8, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L II etc.)
  • various bits and pieces

Suggestions?

motion's gear list:motion's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow