Monitor decisions: NEC PA272 or NEC PA302 vs Viewsonic VP2780-4K

Started Oct 22, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
EG516 Junior Member • Posts: 48
Monitor decisions: NEC PA272 or NEC PA302 vs Viewsonic VP2780-4K

Hi folks,

I'm having a hard time deciding what nice, new photo-centric monitor to get. I have a GPU consistent with 10-bit workflow (Quadro k2200). At the moment, I'm looking to print rather than solely post on the web, though that will probably become a part of what I do. I have PS CC. I'm about to make the jump from amateur to artist. I've read extensively both professional and user reviews, including prad.de, Tom's Hardware, Amazon.com, etc. over an extended timeframe. My budget is somewhat flexible for the reasons stated below but my dream machine, the NEC PA322 at $3000, is way out of the budget. Upgrading to 4k was something I was thinking seriously about. Inasmuch as I've been working on a 24" 1920x1080, I am wanting a larger monitor, one with better resolution, and I would prefer to have Adobe RGB capabilities. Good customer service and a good build quality are also criteria. The size and resolution issues are why I'm not thinking all that seriously about Eizo though I admit I need to look further into the CS2730.

A few things about why this is a difficult decision:

1) I was all set to get the NEC PA272--which is currently on sale without the Spectraview package--until I spoke with NEC tech support about whether they will be continuing to support the PA272/302. They affirmed that NEC will do so, but they also pointed out that both models first came out in 2013, and therefore both models will start trending towards end of life over the next 9 - 12 months. Therefore, NEC *may* come out with new versions of these models, with updated tech, in the same time frame. So one of my questions: is it better to get an "interim solution" monitor while awaiting NEC's next step, or just make the plunge? and see below for other monitor criteria:

2) I've just read some of the more recent monitor-related posts on this forum, and someone mentioned that for photo editing purposes, 2k is not really worse than 4k, just different. I'm really not sure what that means in specifics. So that's also a question: what does it mean that 2k=4k for editing? if I understood it better, it would sway my decision-making process.

3) The above, taken together with the NEC monitor status, brought me to consider the Viewsonic VP 2780-4k (which, yes, I know is an sRGB monitor). The professional and user reviews are pretty good and my thought about it is that I would be able to afford that now and still would have some money to play with later on when/if NEC comes out with newer models. I've considered BenQ and Dell off and on but frankly, despite the many commentators on this forum who have had good experiences with both companies' products, I'm very charry about the number of users who have had to replace their monitors in relatively short order. Also, Dell customer service sounds like a nightmare if something did go wrong.

What do you folks think? All advice is welcome.

thanks,

EG

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow