Considering an A7 + FE50f1.8... good for this kind of situation?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
txabi
txabi Regular Member • Posts: 498
Considering an A7 + FE50f1.8... good for this kind of situation?

I currently use an A6000 with a Sigma 30mm f/2.8. Overall, I'm happy with the results, but I've been considering getting an A7 since they're so cheap lately (sub $1000, which is the ballpark of what I want to spend). Why?

Take for example, this picture I took recently:

I'm somewhat happy with it. It's decently sharp and the A6000 did a nice job considering there wasn't a ton of light at this wedding. However, I'm not happy about the bokeh. There's some amount of separation between subject/background, but not as smooth and blurred as I'd want it to be. Of course, I'm using a 30mm at 2.8, so I can't expect miracles.

I can't shake the feeling that a full frame with the FE50mm f/1.8, would have given me more and smoother (probably also less noisy) bokeh in this shot; due to a combination of the larger sensor and the faster aperture (focal distance being moot as APSC 30 and FF 50 would be roughly equivalent).

Am I wrong in my assumption that I could actually benefit from an A7 + FE50f1.8 combo? I would purchase the FE50 this fall (to also use on the a6000) and the A7 in the spring.

txabi's gear list:txabi's gear list
Nikon D3400 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
osv
osv
osv
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow