1DmkIV to 5DmkIV: what will I miss?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
G Dickson Regular Member • Posts: 115
1DmkIV to 5DmkIV: what will I miss?

Hi all,

So after weeks of thoughts and reviews and decisions I have decided (now that grey import prices are a LOT lower than release price) to get a 5DMKI.  I shoot currently with a 1DmkIV and my photography is mostly wildlife Including a fair bit of BIF) with a fair bit or landscape, astro-landscapes, a bit of environmental portraits and a fair bit of low light (blue hour) marketing stuff for our safari lodge.  While the 6dII is a possibility, the AF of the 5dIV and the video features are what swings it for me.  1080p is totally fine for my uses - video is increasingly important for me - and if I do any 4K stuff then the crop can be negated with the sigma 8-16 that we use sometimes on the 1dMKiv.  But generally high quality 1080 is fine for small promo vids and clips of interesting wildlife action.  Pulling 8MP stills from 4K video is also quite appealing for say bird action in a hide.  Bearing all that in mind the 5DIV looks to be a clear choice.  High ISO performance in low light is very important to me.

I am just wondering if anyone can advise what I would miss if I was to sell the 1dIV.  The 10fps is an obvious one, I am pretty sure it is not a deal breaker for me and I can live with it.  I am also really interested in how say a cropped image with the 5DMKIV and 100-400II and a 1.4x TC would compare to 1DIV and 100-400.  I do tend to end up cropping a fair bit as wildlife here is distant compared to say parts of East Africa...  and with BIFs I end up cropping a fair bit.

Moving from canon is just not an option.  The financial hit is way too much.  Adapted Sonys is likewise not an option as the AF is just not going to meet my needs.

I would be really interested in opinions.  Thanks in advance.

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow